Best CBD Oil for Sleep
Awareness of CBD oils profound benefits is becoming more and more recognized, understood and widespread. One popular application of CBD oils is the treatment of sleep disorders, namely insomnia. Given the complex and multicausal nature of insomnia, it is short-sighted to believe that it is a universal cure. That said, the relaxing characteristics of such oils on the human body and mind supports the ability of CBD as a sleep aid.
This article will give you some insight into the ability of CBD to promote the induction and maintain the quality of sleep, using scientific literature for evidence.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD stands for Cannabidiol, one of the key cannabinoids found in cannabis plants. CBD is one of 113 cannabinoids that is found in the plant with another example being Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), which is the famous psychoactive ingredient that fuels the cannabis high. CBD is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid, yet has many of the associated benefits related to cannabis.
Benefits of CBD Oil
CBD has many physical and mental benefits that promote health and well being. The main benefits associated with CBD include:
- Pain relief
- Reduce anxiety
- Improve depression
- Alleviate cancer-related symptoms
- Reduce acne
- Neuroprotective properties
- Improved heart health
CBD has also been less strongly linked to some other benefits that are still yet to be fully proven, yet the evidence is highly indicative:
- Treat insomnia
- Prevent diabetes
- Prevent epileptic seizures
- Slow and reduce the spread of tumors
- Treat substance abuse
- Antipsychotic effects
- Treat Parkinsons disease
Improving insomnia falls into this category as strong proponents of CBD testify to its ability to improve sleep, although it is yet to be fully understood to do this.
Is CBD Oil Legal for Insomia treatment?
Whilst both medical marijuana and the recreational smoking of the drug is in a path of legalization across the United States, CBD is legal in all 50 states. This includes any use of the oil, including the treatment of sleep disorders such as insomnia.
Does CBD Oil treat Insomnia?
CBD oil is an appropriate treatment for some individuals based on the cause of their insomnia. As mentioned previously, insomnia is a condition with a huge variety of possible causes, and no one treatment is effective for everyone.
CBD oil does have a place in the list of insomnia treatments as it can alleviate symptoms that lead to sleep problems in millions of people.
Evidence for CBD Oil Effectiveness
At a small dose, CBD actually has a stimulating effect similar in the way a light coffee may. Enhanced wakefulness is accompanied by decreased slow wave sleep and REM sleep. This may be a surprise considering the building hype around CBD and its assistance in treating insomnia.
Clinical insomnia has devastating health effects and an individual cost-benefit analysis must be considered in each case. Insomnia, when caused by the health conditions outlined in this article, can dramatically reduce the quality of life of an individual. Given the ability of CBD to treat these often intertwined and comorbid conditions, in these cases, it is better for an individual to use the supplement at the cost of some sleep quality.
Individuals who suffer from insomnia induced by depression, anxiety or chronic pain may benefit from CBD oil to alleviate their sleep disturbances. The nature of the medical condition will inform whether the CBD oil could be used in a short or long term.
Insomnia & Depression
Depression is one of the most common causes of insomnia. When diagnosing the mental health disorder, one of the key characteristics of depression is sleep disturbances. CBD oil has solid evidence backing it up to show it can help people with depression and therefore assist individuals to get well rested.
- Sleep disorders are consider a core symptom of depression.
- The central endocannabinoid system in the brain is linked to mood regulation.
- Deficiencies in the endocannabinoid system are shown to induce clinical depression in humans.
- Using the endocannabinoid as a basis for new clinical trials in treating mood disorders has been suggested in multiple studies.
- CBD has been shown to have antidepressant effects in animals.
Evidence from a range of studies is demonstrating a clear role of the endocannabinoid system in our brain in maintaining a healthy mind. Animal studies are demonstrating these effects and anecdotal evidence and ongoing studies in humans is confirming it.
If your depression prevents you from sleeping, then trying CBD oil to treat your insomnia could produce notable results.
Insomnia & Anxiety
Anxiety is a mental health disorder that is commonly intertwined with depression, both as a cause or as a result. Anxiety and depression have a particularly high comorbidity rate. One study in 2000 undertook research to discover this the exact rate of co-occurrence:
- 47.5% of those with a major depressive disorder were clinically anxious.
- 26.1% of those with anxiety were clinically depressed.
Anxiety and depression have many of the same treatments, including medications such as antidepressants and therapies such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).
The endocannabinoid system, as mentioned, is closely tied to the regulation of mood and CBD has been indicated to treat this. CBD oil is also an effective treatment of anxiety disorders, which is unsurprising given the comorbidity and strong similarities of these conditions.
- CBD has been shown to have anxiolytic effects on chronically stressed mice.
- CBD reduced anxiety in socially anxious individuals when public speaking.
- CBD is linked to reducing anxiety in patients with social anxiety disorder.
- The endocannabinoid system is shown to be closely linked to anxiety disorders in both animals and humans.
- CBD Oil was used to effectively and safely treat the anxiety and insomnia of a young girl with PTSD.
This last study has the most relevance and promise in supporting the use of CBD oil for anxiety-induced insomnia. PTSD is one of the most disruptive and problematic anxiety-based conditions, and this case clearly demonstrates an improvement in the sleep-related symptoms.
Insomnia & Chronic Pain
Chronic pain sufferers often find the condition comes accompanied with many quality of life diminishing secondary symptoms. One of the most common, if not the most common, is sleep disturbances. A particularly negative reciprocal relationship is evident between both chronic pain and insomnia.
One study on patients with chronic musculoskeletal pain recorded the prevalence of major depression and insomnia within a sample of 143 subjects. The subjects had evaluative interviews to classify them into the following groups:
- 38 patients had insomnia with depression
- 58 patients had insomnia without depression
- 47 patients had neither insomnia or depression
These figures represent two-thirds of patients with musculoskeletal pain having insomnia, as well as a high prevalence of depression.
Treating chronic pain, in particular, neuropathic pain is one of the most common uses of CBD oil. This use of CBD oil is one of the most researched and best-understood applications.
- A meta-analysis of 21 studies concluded that CBD (as well as THC) is effective in treating the neuropathic pain of Multiple Sclerosis (MC).
- CBD can reduce chemotherapy-induced neuropathic pain in caused by Chemotherapy with reducing the efficacy of the treatment.
- CBD improves subjective sleep parameters in patients with pain conditions such as MS, peripheral neuropathic pain and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Cannabinoids are a suggested medical tool for difficult to treat pain.
- The endocannabinoid system is indicated to have a role in human pain mechanisms.
Individuals with insomnia induced by chronic pain are likely to see both these conditions and symptoms improved with the used of CBD oil.